Managers in NSP are such a wealth of knowledge and always willing to share it with others. Thanks to National Manager Richard Dicks, Regional Manager Brenda Montrella Branch, and Regional Manager Mary Reed Gates for sharing the following information with us:
INFO from National Manager Richard Dicks on NSP’S Nutribiome – Bacillus Coagulans
Spore Formation: This is why Bacillus Coagulans is so Much More Effective.
One important reason for the superiority of Bacillus coagulans is its ability to produce spores. Spore-forming bacteria are something like ordinary plant seeds. When left alone, seeds are dormant—not alive, but not dead either. Rather, they remain in their protective shield in a state of “readiness.” However, as soon as they encounter an environment with the right temperature and moisture content, they start to germinate, or grow.
Spore-forming bacteria, such as Bacillus Coagulans, work in a very similar way.
In the stomach, the spores are activated by the low pH, mechanical churning, and moisture. They absorb water and start to swell, which increases the bacteria’s metabolic rate. As the bacteria pass through the duodenum and into the small intestine, outgrowths begin to protrude from the spore-coats and the cells begin germinating and transforming into viable cells. Proliferation begins in earnest in the small intestine, where the bacteria multiply rapidly, gain motility by growing flagella, and begin colonizing and going to work producing lactic acid—which discourages the growth of harmful pathogens—and helping digest food. Germination usually begins about four hours after ingestion.
Typically spore-forming bacteria are something to avoid at all cost. For example, Clostridium botulinum (the organism that causes botulism) can cause food poisoning and death. But instead of damaging health, select health promoting spore-forming bacteria like Bacillus Coagulans can take advantage of their high survivability to quickly inoculate the GI tract with healthy flora.
In a published clinical trial, hyperlipidemic adults who supplemented with Bacillus Coagulans for three months experienced reductions in total cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein (LDL), along with increases in beneficial high-density lipoprotein (HDL).29 This promising finding suggests that Bacillus Coagulans may also help promote healthy lipid profiles.
Recently, Bacillus Coagulans has been recommended by Mehmet Oz,MD, and Michael Roizen, MD, in their book YOU: The Owner’s Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition.30 Drs. Oz and Roizen outlined the importance of beneficial bacteria in the gut for maintaining digestive and immune health. Their probiotic of choice: a daily dose of 2 billion cells Bacillus Coagulans (the amount found in a typical capsule).
WOW! Look at this great tip shared by Regional Manager Brenda Montrella Branch:
Eat more fermented food for better gut health!
“I learned how to make fermented fruit at the Herbal Answers meeting recently. Mash enough fresh or frozen (thawed) fruit to make one cup. Stir in the contents of one capsule probiotic, any kind. Cover with a cloth or paper towel and leave sitting at room temperature for two days. It will ferment during those two days. Oh! My! Goodness! It is so delicious! I tried it with peaches. Today I mixed equal parts fermented peaches and cottage cheese for lunch. Oh! My! Goodness gracious! I can’t believe how good it is! Refrigerate the fermented fruit after the two days if you don’t use it all at that time.” Glass is always best and cover with a paper towel or cloth. The good Bacteria will multiply like crazy! Just lay the cloth over it; no need to secure with a rubber band, etc.
Mary is the Epiphany of a Great Teacher & Educator
Understanding Healing Crisis: Dr. Mary L. Reed Gates, CNHP, MH, ND, Regional Manager
Re-printable (by permission only)
- The body and mind begin to show changes because the quality of nutrients coming into the body is of higher, quality than the tissue of which the body is made. The body begins to discard the lower grade materials to make room for the superior materials.
The discarding of the material can come through the bowel causing diarrhea, though the kidney causing back ache, though the respiratory system causing a cold or through the skin causing boils, acne, rashes, psoriasis, etc.
- Indigestion, heartburn, flatulence, bloating and burping usually starts soon after you start herbs. This happens because your body is not used to digesting these nutrients which often indicates that you have been deficient of these nutrients for a long time. The body’s digestion usually improves in a week or two. Taking the herbs with meals or with papaya mints will often help.
- Suppressed body functions will be stimulated to detoxify the body, sometimes inducing colds, diarrhea, fevers, swelling, acne, boils and vomiting. This is temporary and is part of the healing process. The body will return to at least the same level of health as before if not superior health UNLESS you do something to suppress this progress.
- Nervousness, headaches, fatigue, irritability and depression often happen when you cut out any artificial stimulants such as sugar, chocolate, coffee, tea, soda, tobacco, caffeine or recreational drugs. You will not get the desired result if you substitute one artificial stimulant for another.
It is important at this time to rest and sleep more. Once the artificial stimulants are eliminated the body is ready for the building process. The energy of a healthy, well nourished body is superior to any artificial stimulant.
- Moderate weight fluctuation often occurs (either weight loss or weight gain). If you continue the healthier lifestyle the weight will stabilize.
- Skin eruptions, warts, boils or acne. The skin is the largest eliminating organ, so the concept of toxins coming out through the skin is easily understood, even if it is hard to face.
- Aches, pains and arthritis will often get stirred up, even if you haven’t been suffering with it for years. This happens because uric acid and toxins aggravate these conditions as they are cleansed from the body.
- Fevers are not uncommon when dormant bacteria and virus are being cleaned out.
- During a cleansing and healing of the liver hormones may readjust causing change in menses, prolong fertility and a little spotting. *
- The body heals most efficiently during the proper level of sleep. So while healing, sick or injured the body will induce fatigue to help ensure rest and sleep.
This sounds discouraging, but the healing crisis doesn’t last very long and the benefits of cleaning the body of these toxins and disease elements are vitally important. These bacteria, virus or toxins are going to show up sooner or later. You can either have a healthy body handle them on your terms or it will come out when it overpowers your weakened body. It is better to go through small healing crises than a full blown health crisis
If you are in doubt about whether what you are experiencing is a normal part of healing contact a competent health professional.